Each town and municipality in the district of Herford has its own coat of arms. Herfords coat of arms exists since 1899.
The coat of arms of the district of Herford, the district of Wittekind, features a black horse. According to legend a black horse had been ridden by Wittekind until his christening. After the forced baptism Charlemagne gave him a white horse as a present which is today's heraldic animal of Westphalia.
Herford has many things to offer — from tradition to modernity. A special feature is the museum of modern art, Marta, which was designed by Frank O. Gehry.
Luciano Fabros artwork La Palla (the ball) reflects its surroundings in front of the Elsbachhaus. The poem Der Ball (the ball) by Rainer Maria Rilke is written between two traffic lanes on a length of 153 meters.
Eight brazen geese decorate the fountain called Wiederkehrende Gänse (returning geese) on the Gänsemarkt (geese market).
The Herford Minster is the oldest and biggest church of Herford. Built from 1220 to 1250, it's the first major construction of a hall church in Germany and today the biggest hall church in Westphalia.
At the banks of the rivers Werre and the Westphalian Aa which both pass through Herford wonderful, idyllic possibilities of retreat are located.
A rampart surrounds Herfords inner city. Everybody who wants to see Herfords pastoral side and follow its former town walls can jog here or ride a bike.
The statue of Wittekind on the Wilhelmsplatz recalls the Duke of Saxony Wittekind (also often called Widukind). The fountain illustrates the fountain miracle which turned Wittekind, almost dying of thirst, into a Christian and made him bow down to his superior enemy, the king of the Franks, Charlemagne.
Photo by M. Kunz licensed under a Creative Commons license